A stoppage time winner for Inverurie Loco Works saw Huntly lose out 3-2 in the Semi-Finals of the Aberdeenshire Shield.

Locos were dealt a major blow in the warm-up when goalkeeper Andrew Reid was suffering from illness and had to be replaced by Morgan Cook. Huntly made two changes from the side which exited the Highland League Cup on Saturday with Declan Milne and Liam MacDonald both coming into the starting line-up.


There was a claim for a penalty in the seventeenth minute when a Kai Ross cross was handled by Eric Watson in the box before the ball rebounded to Nathan Meres whose effort was blocked at the near post by Greg Mitchell. After Ross’ corner was not dealt with, Christopher Hay crossed into the visiting box for Glenn Murison to head in his second goal of the season.

Midway through the half, Nathan Meres beat his marker down the right flank and crossed for Declan Milne header whose header was wide at the near post.

Locos failed to have a single goal attempt in the whole of the first half and Neil Gauld got into the box only for Hay to put in a last-ditch tackle to keep the forward out.

Half-Time: Huntly 1 Inverurie Loco Works 0

Two minutes into the half Declan Milne appeared to be clipped by goalkeeper Morgan Cook only for the forward to be cautioned for simulation by Referee Filippo Mazzoni.

It took 51 minutes for Locos to get a goal effort when Ashley Ballam failed to clear in his own box and Christopher Angus took advantage to roll the ball in.

There was a major flashpoint an hour in when Eric Watson caught goalscorer Glenn Murison in the face resulting in two chipped teeth, a bloody nose and a concussion for the player. Watson was fortunate to escape any card for the off-the-ball incident.

Nathan Meres put Huntly back in front getting on the end of a Hay cross to fire into the top corner. Christopher Hay kept his side in front with a great last-ditch clearance to keep out Angus from close range.

Neil Gauld levelled things up four minutes later running in behind to fire in low to make it 2-2.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Christopher Angus was through on goal only to be denied by a Euan Storrier tackle. From the resultant corner kick by Ryan Stott, Jonathan Smith's effort was turned into his own net by Ross Still..

Huntly (4-2-3-1)
Inverurie Loco Works (4-3-3)

13 Euan Storrier

18 Bradley Manson (Jack 75:57)
17 Ashley Ballam
5 Logan Johnstone
21 Christopher Hay

14 Liam MacDonald
7 Ross Still  

11 Nathan Meres
6 Glenn Murison (Booth 65:29)
8 Kai Ross

9 Declan Milne

1 Morgan Cook

2 Thomas Reid (Michie 74:10)
6 Mark Souter
5 Eric Watson
3 Greg Mitchell

4 Sam Burnett
7 Calum Dingwall
8 Neil McLean

10 Jonathan Smith
9 Neil Gauld
11 Christopher Angus


1 John Farquhar
2 Alexander Jack subbed on (Manson 75:57)
10 David Booth subbed on (Murison 65:29) subbed on
12 Reece McKeown
16 Paul Esslemont
19 Alexander Thoirs
20 Cai Matthew


14 Ryan Stott subbed on (McLean 60:45)
15 Jamie Michie subbed on (Reid 74:10)
16 Andrew Watt
17 Jordan Cooper
18 Kyle Gordon
19 Craig Gill

Management Team

  1. Martin Skinner (Manager, pictured)
  2. Richard Cheyne (Assistant Manager)
  3. Rachel Dexter (Physio)
  4. William Beaton (Kitman)

Management Team

  1. Andy Low (Manager)
  2. Steven Pratt (Coach)
  3. Ashley Armstrong (Physio)
  4. Steven Park (Assistant Manager)
Referee: Scott Leslie Assistant Referee 1: Arran Cruickshank Assistant Referee 2: Brian Dean
  1. Glenn Murison (20:16 header) 1-0
  2. Nathan Meres (73:33) 2-1
  1. Christopher Angus (51:43) 1-1
  2. Neil Gauld (77:04) 2-2
  3. Ross Still (90+2:08 own goal) 2-3
  1. Declan Milne (47:45 simulation)
  2. David Booth (85:21 unsporting behaviour)
  1. Neil McLean (45 dissent)
  2. Eric Watson (63:58 unsporting behaviour)
  3. Mark Souter (85:18 unsporting behaviour)
  4. Calum Dingwall (90+0:51 stops a promising attack)
Sendings off

Match Statistics
Shots on target
Shots off target
Shots blocked