Formartine United edged out Huntly 2-1 at Christie Park to setup an Aberdeenshire Cup semi-final meeting with Aberdeen.

Neale Davidson, Craig Reid, Glenn Murison, Ross Still and Euan Storrier were all out injured as Huntly gave debuts to new loan signings Nathan Meres and Ashley Ballam while John Farquhar returned in goal with two goalkeepers out. Formartine had Jonathan Crawford suspended while Michael Clark returned to Christie for the first time since his transfer in the summer.


With only three minutes gone, Huntly were given a chance to go ahead when Referee Liam Duncan penalised Stuart Anderson for a foul on David Booth inside the box. Booth fired low only for goalkeeper Errol Watson to smother low from the penalty kick.

Three minutes later, the woodwork denied United when Jordan Leyden struck the post from a free kick. Goalkeeping Coach John Farquhar was keeping Huntly in the game with a string of good stops denying Garry Wood in the space of a few minutes.

With 35 minutes gone, quick break upfield saw Scott Lisle get into the box and fire in off the bar to break the deadlock.

Three second into first half stoppage time, Graeme Rodger got forward on the counter attack and when his cross was not cleared, Jordan Leyden powered in a shot to double the lead.

Half-Time: Huntly 0 Formartine United 2

In the 62nd minute, United keeper Errol Watson was penalised for catching Huntly debutant Nathan Meres in the face with a punch. Kai Ross stepped up to take the home side’s second penalty of the night to reduce the deficit.

Ross came close to equalising with four minutes remaining when he was denied by a point-blank stop from Watson.

Huntly (4-2-3-1)
Formartine United (4-3-3)

1 John Farquhar

4 Christopher Herd (Esslemont 74:56)
17 Ashley Ballam
5 Logan Johnstone
23 Craig Dorrat (Ross 39:55)

2 Alexander Jack
14 Liam MacDonald

19 Alexander Thoirs (captain)
10 David Booth
11 Nathan Meres

15 Matthew McDonald (Matthew 63:01)

1 Errol Watson

2 Wayne MacKintosh
5 Michael Clark
4 Stuart Anderson (captain)
3 Stuart Smith

7 Graeme Rodger
10 Liam Strachan
6 Kieran Lawrence (Whyte 88:07)

8 Scott Lisle
9 Garry Wood
11 Jordan Leyden (Greig 69:52)


8 Kai Ross subbed on(Dorrat 39:55) subbed on
9 Nicholas Gray
12 Reece McKeown
13 Keith Robertshaw
16 Paul Esslemont subbed on(Herd 74:56)
18 Bradley Manson
20 Cai Matthew subbed on(McDonald 63:01)


12 Murray Esson
14 Gregor Whyte subbed on(Lawrence 88:07)
15 Cole Anderson
16 Paul Lawson
17 Andrew Greig subbed on(Leyden 69:52)
21 Kevin Main

Management Team

  1. Martin Skinner (Manager, pictured)
  2. Richard Cheyne (Assistant Manager)
  3. Rachel Dexter (Physio)
  4. William Beaton (Kitman)

Management Team

  1. Russell Anderson (Coach, pictured)
  2. Paul Swanston (Goalkeeping Coach)
  3. Eric Whyte (Assistant Coach)
  4. Duncan Allen (First Aider)
Referee: Liam Duncan
Assistant Referee 1: Dave McLaren
Assistant Referee 2: Duncan Anderson
  1. Kai Ross (62:27 penalty)
  1. Scott Lisle (35:12)
  2. Jordan Leyden (45+00:03)
  1. Liam MacDonald (72:53)
  1. Wayne MacKintosh (56:16)
  2. Errol Watson (62:52)
Sendings off

Match Statistics
Shots on target
Shots off target
Shots blocked